Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Yummy Instant Pot recipes and GrandMa McKeith's Kolach!

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Tuesdays are going to be dedicated to food.  I'm a foodie at heart - I love to cook, I love to eat, I love to bake.  So it's natural that at least one day will have to be devoted to food! 

I recently got an Instant Pot, and I have to say – I’ve enjoyed learning it.  First thing I tried was Beef and Broccoli. I used this recipe: https://bit.ly/2B2zWhA.  It is a definite keeper, even Amanda liked it.  I’ve since made it a couple other times and we’ve finished all of it.  I’ll have to note what cut of beef I use next time, I know I’ve not necessarily used the chuck roast recommended.

Then I tried Balsamic Pork Tenderloin.  I have to say – WOW! It’s delicious!  Here’s a link to the recipe I used: https://bit.ly/2B3AAeE  In fact, it’s so good, that when I got out the pork yesterday, Tom looked at it and said “Balsamic Pork?? Yes!!!” 

So I made the Balsamic pork and followed the instructions. I didn’t use a pork tenderloin but used pork sirloin roasts that Costco had on sale.  I followed the instructions – 20 minutes pressure, 10 minutes natural release.  Pulled it out and started slicing only to discover it wasn’t quite finished. So back in the IP for another 10 minutes pressure, then quick release and it was finished.  So I guess next time I do it and not use a tenderloin I’ll lengthen the time for cooking. 
Amanda had bought gnocchi at Trader Joe’s – so I had to try gnocchi soup.  This one was great - https://bit.ly/2zTgulI and it will be made again now that the weather is getting cooler. 

Finally, Chicken Cacciatore. Tom loves Cacciatore, so it was natural that I would try to find one to go in the IP, and this one https://bit.ly/2DhUUdU is definitely a winner!  I didn’t use thighs, but used boneless breasts instead, to save calories, but it is still every bit as wonderful.  It makes quite a bit of sauce, which I couldn’t bear to throw out – so it’s sitting in a jar in the freezer, waiting for something to pour over! 

The last thing I’ve tried with much success is yogurt! I used the cold start method – 1-quart Fairlife milk (I used fat-free), 2 tablespoons Fage Fat-Free Greek Yogurt. I have the IP Nova Plus, which has a yogurt button, so I pressed that and let it go!  It turned out great. I kept it unflavored/unsweetened for now, may change that up later, but with fruit this morning it was wonderful!

I drafted this blog on Monday, November 12, and this morning I stumbled upon a new site that I have a feeling is going to be a go-to for me!  It was created by a gentleman who is following Weight Watchers and has a ton of recipes he’s converted for the IP, along with the WW points!  Here’s the site: https://bit.ly/2z6FVAq  I've not tried any of his recipes yet but definitely will be planning on doing so in the near future.

Tonight's meal will be Bruschetta Chicken - saute garlic in olive oil, add cut up chicken breasts and brown on all sides, throw in a can of petite diced tomatoes, or fresh diced tomatoes, top with fresh from the garden basil, and serve over spaghetti squash.  Easy peasy, 1 Weight Watcher Point (for the olive oil), and so yummy!


With Thanksgiving right around the corner, that means that next week will be Kolach making week. I remember the year I told the kids I wasn’t going to make it. You would have thought that I was suggesting doing away with the holiday entirely!  I was about to have a mutiny on my hands! It was almost as bad as the year I didn’t make mashed potatoes!  Learned my lesson!  So I’ll be knocking out at least 6 loaves, probably more likely 9-12 loaves. Almost all of them will be chocolate, but I kind of want to make at least a couple of nut rolls as well.  I also want to make some biscotti, and may actually do that this week. 

The Kolach recipe I use was passed down from my grandmother – Anastasia McKeith.  I think it’s a requirement if you are a member of this family at least one person in the family had better learn to make it.  If you are so inclined to try it, here’s the recipe:


Kolach
This was a "goof" loaf, but it still tasted wonderful!

1 packet dry yeast
¼ C water
½ C milk
1 egg
½ stick butter
1/3 C sugar
3 C Flour

Mix yeast and one cup flour in a small bowl.  In a large bowl, mix softened butter and sugar.  In the microwave or a small pan on the stove warm the water and milk to a slight boil. Pour the liquid over the butter and sugar, add the flour and yeast mixture and beat with an electric beater for 2 minutes.  Add the egg and a little more flour and beat for 2 more minutes.  Add the rest of the flour and mix by hand until it’s no longer sticky.  Let the dough rise until double. Split into two or three batches, roll out and spread with your choice of filling. You can either put it in loaf pans or on a cookie sheet - your choice.  Let it rise again, but not doubled, just enough to give it some volume.  Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees, just until golden brown.  I sometimes brush with butter as well before baking.

Fillings:

Chocolate

Mix together 1 large package chocolate cooking pudding, ½ stick butter or margarine, melted and 1 T or less of milk to desired consistency. It should be about as thick as peanut butter. Spread on the rolled out dough

Poppy seed - the traditional loaf

½ pound (yes, pound) ground poppy seed
½ C sugar (or a little more)
½ grated lemon rind
½ stick butter
¼ C milk
Slightly warm butter and milk, add poppy seed, sugar and lemon rind to liquid, spread on the rolled out dough.



Nut

2 C chopped nuts
½ t nutmeg
grated rind of one lemon
½ C sugar
½ C honey
2 beaten egg whites
Mix together all ingredients and spread on the rolled out dough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!