Monday, November 12, 2018

November 12, 2018 



I've not written for some time, but the journal prompt that was in Spiritually Hungry's Thanksgiving Challenge, 30 Days of Fostering a Thankful Heart, (link here: https://spirituallyhungry.com/holiday-challenge/)   really spoke to me.    It is:  Think about where you reside and t where God has you.

That’s an easy one!  I currently live in Tucson, Arizona. I moved here in August 2000, so that means I’ve actually lived here longer than any other place, with the exception of Cleveland.  I lived in the house in Rita Ranch longer than any other house, though – 17 years – and that includes all the years growing up in Cleveland. 

There are so many good things about Tucson, for starters – our wonderful weather!  Since I’m writing this in November, I can really brag on what some call “Chamber of Commerce” weather – cool nights, mild days in the 60’s-70’s.  Can’t ask for more perfect weather, especially when I hear of snow and freezing temps in other places.  Yes, it gets very hot here in the summer, but the weather in November-February more than makes up for it.  People have asked me if I ever wanted to move back “home” to Cleveland. And while it would be nice to be around family, the answer is an unapologetic no. 

There is a lot to do here, mostly outdoors.  Hiking in the National Parks, bicycling on the Loop, picnics on Mt. Lemmon.  But there are cultural things as well, with the University of Arizona offering multiple choices for concerts, shows, and theater.  We have the Desert Museum and Reid Park Zoo, the Roadrunner Hockey Team, nationally ranked basketball, sometimes decent football.  There is a vibrant art community here as well, ranging from Native American art to Ted DeGrazia, and more.  Oh, and I certainly can’t leave out two things that definitely put Tucson on the map – the Tour de Tucson, a 105 mile internationally recognized bike race around the perimeter of the town.  It takes place this Saturday, November 17 and brings in huge crowds.  The second is the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show each February.  It also brings in hundreds of vendors and shoppers looking for just that gem or mineral. 

Tucson has its issues. The roads need help, and unfortunately recently a road bond was rejected by the voters, so we will continue to have those problems.  Politics are much the same as everywhere else – contentious! Schools are good in some parts, not so good in others.  There’s lots of history – the Presidio part of downtown, the Mission, Old Tucson. 

Food is another major plus in Tucson.  We have just about every variety of cuisine that you can imagine, starting with the best Sonoran style Mexican anywhere.  Restaurants such as Mi Ni Dito in South Tucson, El Charro – a Tucson icon that has several locations.  Pinnacle Peak, with its western ambiance, where if you wear a tie be prepared to have it cut off!   El Corral, which is situated in a ranch house built in the 1920s, and has the best prime rib.  We also have incredible Italian restaurants – my favorite is Gusto, a small place at the intersection of Tanque Verde and Sabino Canyon, but there are many, many others.  Chain restaurants? Why, when there are so very many other choices that are wonderful?? 

To just touch on the faith aspect – Tucson is a very religious community, but the opportunities to share the Gospel abound.  For many years, Tucson saw an influx of refugees, where God was bringing the world to our doorstep. I was a part of teaching refugees English for several years, and about to venture back into that ministry once again.  Right now for various reasons I’m taking a break from ministry and allowing God to speak into my life instead, but tonight I will be going to meet a woman who wants to sharpen her English skills, and we’ll see where that leads. 


Tucson has been very good to me, and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I did learn a few things about your communtiy and got a beautiful reminder of your why's for teaching English! Do you know that they tie will be cut off from personal experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We've been there when they have done it to others. And, please let me know who this is :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!