Friday, November 16, 2018

Fitness Friday

For a few years now, I've been convicted that I've not been taking care of my body very well.  I was terribly overweight, had high blood pressure, heart issues and am at risk for diabetes. I know this is not how God would have me care for this temple (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). So I set about to make some major changes.

First, I got a FitBit.  It gave me the incentive I needed.  I started walking, working out on the elliptical that up until then had become a glorified clothes rack, and watched what I ate.  Pounds started slowly coming off and I was feeling better.  A year later, Tom was offered an Apple watch at work, and since he didn't really want it, I took it.  Filling those activity circles every day became a personal challenge.  About the same time, I started riding.  We live in a great town for bike riding, and where we lived at the time there were two convenient routes to take.  I would ride 2-3 times a week, usually about 10 miles a day. Tom and I would ride longer distances together on Saturdays.  Between eating healthy and the bike riding and other exercises, I managed to drop 50 pounds.

This was an early routine! Much harder now!
I've increased the weights, and now I don't
do the easier variations of them. 
I had returned to work and when we moved into town we joined Desert Sports, a gym near us. I would get up at 4:30 every morning to go work out.  However, after two years, I moved into a new full-time position.  I thought it would be a good fit, but I soon realized that I was the epitome of the Peter Principle.  I found myself stress eating and soon re-gained 20 of the pounds I had worked so hard to lose.  Due to a number of issues, I decided it was time to leave that position and I officially retired.

I started working out with a trainer at the gym, and it's been the best thing for me.  I honestly do think I'm stronger now than when I started. He puts me through different routines each week, and I do some of them now on the days when I'm not meeting with him, in addition to 45-60 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. I used to get on the elliptical, but my knee doesn't like it, so I'm switching it up now - elliptical one day, treadmill one day, stationary bike the rest of the time.  The bike isn't nearly as hard on my knees and I can actually go longer with no pain.

On Saturdays Tom and I ride longer distances on The Loop a paved bike path that circumnavigates Tucson.  The entire Loop is more than 120 miles, through desert areas (not so fun in the summer) and tree-shaded areas (much nicer ;) ).  It's nice to ride without having to deal with traffic. People - bikers, in-line skaters, runners, walkers - are very friendly - they are there for the same reason - to get fit!  The farthest we've gone to date is 38 miles. Our goal is to eventually ride the entire Loop, which, from our house minus the extensions, is 60 miles.  I know we'll make it, it just takes training to get there.  I'd honestly say that the hardest part, however, is the "pain in the rear!"  Trust me, riding that far is hard on your tail! I really need to look for a newer, more comfortable seat.  I'm learning to listen to my body, eat the right foods for long distance rides, and not hit a wall so soon where I'm dizzy and about to pass out!  At the suggestion of my cardiologist, I now bring Gatorade and energy gels, which I can use if I need them.

Speaking of my cardiologist - I had an appointment with him yesterday, and he was very pleased with my progress.  In fact, my blood pressure was so low that he's reduced some of my meds. He said that if I continue with losing weight and working out, I might eventually be able to get off all the blood pressure meds.

Next week I'll share more about how we have changed our eating habits.

(For some reason, I'm having trouble linking Desert Sports and The Loop.  Here's the long links to them:  Desert Sports - https://desertsportsandfitness.com/tucson-pantano/; The Loop - http://webcms.pima.gov/government/the_loop/.  If you want to check them out, you may need to copy/paste in your browser. I'm going to have to get help fixing this for next time! {Any Blogger experts out there??})


Philippians 3: 12 (NIV) Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!