Friday, November 23, 2018

Thanksgiving and Reflecting on Home

Thanksgiving Day.  Wednesday was spent getting things ready, and yesterday was the big day. I wrote this early Thursday morning, but quite obviously never got back to it.  

I woke up early Thursday morning, and couldn't get back to sleep, so I went ahead and got up. Wednesday, after we finished everything and enjoyed a few minutes in the hot tub, we sat down to relax and turned on the TV.  What show should be on but one of the old favorites from years ago - A Charlie Brown Christmas.  We tuned in just about the time when Charlie Brown and the gang loaded into his parents' station wagon and headed to Grandma's house, er, condominium.  So naturally what song is on my mind today?  Over the River and Through the Woods.  It's an appropriate song to begin my reflection today, as I think about my family. 

I was raised in Cleveland, and in a lot of ways that always will be home. But there is no home there any longer.  Mom and Dad left Cleveland roughly 30 years ago and while the houses are still there, none of them are home any longer. Our family is very spread out, so returning home to visit and be with the extended family doesn't happen over the holidays. This summer we did have a family reunion with those who were able to attend, and roughly 35 people were there. If everyone had been in attendance, it would have been closer to 90. 

But that's past.  My family now consists of my husband, Tom and my children Charles, Dianna, Matthew, Amanda, bonus sons Tommy and Andrew, daughters in law Jodie, Mary and Kortney, son in law Mark, grandchildren Ian, Abigail and Aiden and bonus grandson Corey.  My kids will came Over the River and Through the Woods to Nana's house for dinner. Well, actually over the (dry) washes and through the traffic lights that is!  And no horses or snow to deal with!  Andrew, Kortney and Aiden had a Facetime call with Tom, as they live in Tennessee.  Tommy, he's a different story and one for another day.    We had the usual spread -  turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, salad, veggies, cheese plate, kolach, sea salt caramel cookie bars, and cheesecake. We aren't a pie family although I should have made an apple one this year. We were joined by a bonus guest family - Amanda's co-worker Gen Varner just had a newborn baby and none of their family made it to town for the holidays, so we invited the family to join us.   Gen, Chris, 2 and a half-year-old Riley, and 1 week old Benjamin came and Chris brought a turkey to deep fry!  Riley was a joy to watch. He managed to turn on every light switch he could find, fell in love with my chair and then Tom's chair, pulled the step-ladder over to the thermostat and tried to change it - general 2.5-year-old mischief.  Baby Benjamin was passed around from person to person, all of whom fell in love.   

Since it was Thanksgiving I wanted to share some things I'm thankful for.  First, my family - especially Tom, who gained 4 children when we were married in 2001. He has unselfishly provided for us all these years.  I'm thankful for the good day it was - lots of food and good company.  I'm thankful for the freedom that we have to set aside a day specifically to thank the Lord for his provision over the past year.  I'm thankful to live in a country where there are so many opportunities, there for the taking if you work hard enough.  I'm thankful that at least for now we have the freedom to worship as we wish.  I"m thankful for good friends, especially those who have remained so even though the miles and years separate us.  But mostly I'm thankful for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he offered on the Cross so long ago so that I might be able to have a relationship with God. I pray that I can reflect that in my life and that others would see HIm through me. 

 May you have a wonderful rest-of-the-holiday weekend.   

(Sadly I didn't get many pictures. That has to change for Christmas!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!