Friday, October 31, 2014

Crisis Management


Cry.
Momentarily immobilized.
Pray.
Brood. 
Fret. 
Worry. 
Talk, talk, talk ...........then talk some more.
Pray some more, crying out to God for help.   

 That's usually the pattern when I have a crisis to deal with. Eventually I get to the point where I can look at a crisis objectively, see exactly what the problem is and come up with a game plan to deal with it.  Usually after spending a lot of time praying for guidance, the steps become clear.  Sometimes the steps take  a very long time to complete, other times they can be completed quickly, with the crisis resolved; it all depends on the crisis. 

For example, I've dealt with some crises that did not lend themselves to quick resolutions.  They were big issues - a wayward child, a broken marriage.  Those kinds of crises require incremental steps.  Do this.  Now do this.  Then on to the next thing.  They often take years to resolve.  Those crises are taxing.  They take a toll on emotions, physical health, and can take a spiritual toll as well.   But it is in the middle of those crises that God reveals Himself and His character. Those are the times when the most spiritual growth occurs. 

I see God working the most when I am at my lowest. When the crises seem overwhelming, those are the times I cling to Him more than ever.  I think of Jeremiah, the weeping prophet.  He was dealing with a huge crisis,  the rejection of Yahweh by the nation of Israel, the fall of Jerusalem, captivity of the people.  The Jewish people were facing the consequences of their sin, which often is the reason most crises come.  This wasn't a crisis that was going to be resolved in a few short weeks/months/years. In fact, it has YET to be resolved.  But in the midst of his lament over God's judgment, he pens one of the most memorable passages in the Bible,  Lamentations 3:19-25 (NASB)

Remember my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and bitterness.
Surely my soul remembers
And is bowed down within me.
This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“Therefore I have hope in Him.”
The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,
To the person who seeks Him.

This is what I need to remember when dealing with a crisis.  The Lord is faithful, and his mercies are new every morning.  He will triumph over any crisis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!