Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Chapters 3 and 4 of Overcoming Sin

    Well, blogging is proving much more difficult now that I'm working 28 hours a week.  I have to guard my time much more, and two nights a week I'm not at home at all.  I have been reading the book by John Owen, Overcoming Sin and Temptation,  as I explained in my first blog on this subject, and while I'm behind on writing, I am keeping up with the reading.  I am praying that I adjust soon and can get back to blogging more regularly. 
   
    Chapters 3 and 4 were about the role of the Holy Spirit in mortifying sin.  So often as believers we feel that we have to do everything under our own power, totally forgetting that we do nothing, especially with regard to escaping sin, without the empowering of the Holy Spirit.  Chapter 3 reminded me of that.  John Owen points out that it is the Holy Spirit who enables us to resist sin.  As we mature as believers, growing in the Spirit, we exhibit the fruit of the Holy Spirit  - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control - those character traits that are evidence to others that we belong to Christ.   This working of the Holy Spirit is what allows us to mortify sin.  The Spirit convicts us when we do sin, sometimes allowing real, physical pain to come.
   
    I've see this convicting power of the Holy Spirit in action in the life of my daughter. She was knowingly walking in complete disobedience, and suffering several medically unexplainable physical issues.  Visit after visit to the doctor provided no relief.  Finally, the day came when we talked about yet another doctor visit, and I pointed out that maybe there really wasn't anything physically wrong, but maybe, just maybe, God was trying to get her attention.  She pondered it for a few months, and when she finally repented, her symptoms all but disappeared.  Now this young woman is venturing out in obedience to God by leaving in a few short days for full time missions training.  Her faith and trust in God has increased and the turn around is nothing short of amazing.  God certainly is working in her life.  She learned the result of letting the Holy Spirit work in her life to mortify sin. 

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts...will share when we see each other next of an event of reconciliation which I look forward to seeing how He works that to good. There was definitely some prompting by the Holy Spirit. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!