Saturday, October 4, 2014

Random! Clothing, food, and the ministry of John the Baptist

Since this blog is about totally random stuff, today's blog will have three totally random, unrelated topics!

First, I'm posting the frivolous blogs. The more serious one will be last. :)

I'm using two different books as blog prompts,  365 Days of Writing Prompts, published by Word Press and 412 Journaling Exercises and Prompts, part of a bundle by Meredith Lane.  Some of them are quite silly, but a lot of them prompt some heavy thinking.  Both of the prompts today did inspire blogs :)

First one asked the question: How important are clothes to you? Describe your style, if you have one, and tell us how appearance impacts how you feel about yourself.

Interesting that this should be a blog prompt.  I've been thinking about my style lately, now that I'm working almost full time, in an office where I believe image counts and Dick does desire that I dress appropriately, even if others in the office don't.  What is my style?  I think it's developed into a more business casual, classic look.  I usually wear dress pants, a t-shirt, necklace and shrug or tunic length sweater.  While my current foot ware is still Birkenstocks, I'm looking at shoes that are a little dressier, but because of my foot issues, I want them to be comfortable as well, so I'm on the hunt for a pair that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

I have found since starting this job that I do feel much better about myself when I'm dressed up.  I have much more confidence than when I'm dressed like a shlub.  I have grown weary of jeans and a t-shirt, no makeup, sloppy hair.  Now that I'm working I have a reason to dress nicer, be better groomed all the time.  It does make a difference in how I feel. I'm more confident, and considering the extra weight I'm carrying around, looking nicer certainly helps me feel better about myself, and has given me some incentive to work harder at getting rid of the weight!

The second prompt was to describe your favorite home-cooked meal.

I'm having one of those today for Amanda's going away!  When we were kids, one of our favorite dishes was Chicken Paprikash.  Even today, if I post on Facebook that I'm making it, I'll have comments from my aunt, cousin, sister, nieces and nephew!  I finally found a recipe that I can make without goofing the dumplings and turning them into a mass of dough.  Since Amanda loves it, even though its too warm for it, I'll make it tonight to accommodate her :)   (You can find the version I like at allrecipes.com. It's the one by Erin Webster. The link is http://tinyurl.com/l6rw8n5) 

Finally, the serious one.  I'm reading through the Bible chronologically, and today's reading was chapter 3 of Matthew and Luke, and Mark, chapter 1.  All three of the chapters are chronicling the ministry of John the Baptist in the months before Jesus revealed himself.  He was preaching a message of repentance and baptizing people in preparation for what they thought was the coming judgment.  He was preparing the people for the coming Savior, although they didn't necessarily understand it at that point.

Some of those who came were the Sadducees and Pharisees.  John asked them who had warned them of the coming wrath, who told them they needed to be baptized?  My suspicions (not based on any scripture, just my gut feeling) is that while a number of them were truly repentant and wanting to repent and walk in closer fellowship with God, some  were merely going through the motions, in an effort to show others how holy they were.    John pointed out that going through the motions would not save them from wrath - they had to show real repentance.

The same is true for us today. We can't just go through the motions of church membership, the motions of baptism and communion, but our lives need to reflect the heart change that has occurred. If our faith is not revealed in our actions, then there is legitimate reason to doubt our salvation. Not only for us to doubt it, but what about others?  No one, except God,  can judge the heart, but they certainly can see a changed life. What are others seeing when they look at me?








*The credits - because, you know, it's right to give credit where it's due:
 
The Editors, WordPress.com. 365 Days of Writing Prompts (Kindle Locations 698-699). 

Lane, Meredith (2014-04-05). The Personal Growth Bundle: Featuring Personal Growth and Healing through Journaling, 412 Journaling Exercises and Prompts, and Healing Your Inner Child through Affirmations (Kindle Locations 1225-1226). Kindle Edition.


1 comment:

  1. I would agree with you that this was an interesting combination of ideas. But, it was still a good combination. And they are related in a way... our personal style is not only reflected in what we wear but in what we cook for our families, especially on special occasions. Being authentic in our 'style' is also related to be authentic in our walk with God. So... they are connected.

    My style is pretty low maintenance, since my job involves playing with a 3 year old. So it is definitely still the jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts ... VERY casual. And honestly, that is how my whole life is right now... everything is casual... clothes choices, meal choices, church choices... and that isn't necessarily a good thing.

    Thanks for making me think about things.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!