Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Traveling

I'm working through a journal prompt book on my Kindle,  365 Days of Writing Prompts, published by WordPress.com. Today's prompt is Tell us about the farthest you’ve ever traveled from home.  It did start me thinking....


Home. Where is home? Is it where I live now? Is it where I grew up?  

Home is where I am.  Right now, home is Tucson, Arizona.  This house has actually been home longer than any other place.  I've lived in Tucson for almost 14 years, 13 years in this house.  I've never lived any where else quite as long.  True, I lived in the Dayton area for a total of 17 years, with an 18 month interruption for our time in California, but not in the same house.   There are good and not-so-good memories of that time.  So, at times Dayton and Fairborn, Ohio are home.



Home when I was a child was Cleveland.  That's where I grew up and lived until I was 18 and joined the military. However, we lived in several different locations in Cleveland as well.  The first I remember was our house on Hall Avenue in Lakewood.  


From there we moved to Cleveland Heights, 
which was the last place I lived in Cleveland.  
Mom and Dad moved to Beechwood, but that was never home for me.

In reality, the answer is essentially the same for both. I've traveled to Hawaii - farthest away from Cleveland, and I've traveled to Italy, the farthest away from Tucson.  But when I think of my travels, I realize how much more I want to travel before the ability to do so is gone. I've been to Portugal, where we lived when Chuck was born. We went to England for a week, but just stayed in London.  On that trip, we also went to Germany, but because we were in transit, we didn't see much.

Since marrying Tom, we've gone to Italy and Hawaii together.  I went to Paris with Becky.  There are still so many places I want to go.  I want to go to Africa, and that chance may still be coming. I do envy Amanda her amazing experience last year in Sierra Leone. I want to go to Greece.  After seeing all the history and culture in Italy, this is the next historical place I really want to explore.  I want to go back to Italy - there is so much to see there and we barely touched the surface.  I want to see Pompeii, the Cinque de Terre, the Almafi Coast.  I want to explore the mountain villages in Switzerland. I want to see the castles in Germany.  I want to spend a lot of time in Great Britain. 


There is so much world out there to explore. Will I ever be able to see any of it, other than vicariously?  That question will have to wait for an answer.  

(I wanted to post some more pictures, but I'm having technical issues. Ugh. Sometimes technology is a bugger!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!