Monday, August 6, 2012

Friendship International

I told Matt that I wouldn't be one of those who starts to blog, writes one, then promptly forgets about it.  However, for the past 10 days or so, I've been sick!  I've not given much more than a passing thought to blogging, I was more concerned with just getting better.  Finally, today, I feel more like myself.

Friendship International is a big part of my life right now, and the major reason I'm going back to school.  It is the English as a Second Language ministry of our church.  I've been involved in it for 3 years now and love it.  We have approximately 20-25 students, primarily from China, but a number from Bhutan, and individuals from Mexico, Romania, an African country and Korea.  Some of the Chinese have actually been attending for 20+ years, when the ministry was first started.  There has been spiritual fruit, but we are always trust the Lord for more.

How did I get involved with teaching English?  I'm not much of a teacher, and I know it all too well, but this just seems to FIT.  I think it goes back to when I was in high school and we had neighbors move in who were Japanese.  Dr. Nakamoto was studying at Case Western for two years and they came knowing very little to no English.  Reiko (his wife) was a very willing student, and my mom was a very willing teacher.  We taught them English and American culture, they in turn taught us a few words in Japanese and their culture.  Eventually, Mom would go on to hosting up to 10 Japanese women in our home as well as theirs, teaching them English using the Bible and other books and newspapers.  I never realized until Mom passed away in 2010 and I was talking to her pastor about her funeral, just how much that had an impact on me.  I had already been working with a group of Burundi refugees for two years, and didn't realize until that point that I was following in Mom's footsteps.

Going back to school and getting my Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary studies will allow me to take the classes necessary to be certified in ESL at Pima.  This will not only enrich my ministry at El Camino, but it will also position me for a ministry position overseas, if that's what God leads Tom to do once he retires from IBM within the next 2-4 years.  Will I be teaching or be in more of an administrative position? I really don't know, I'm just taking it one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!