Sunday, September 22, 2024

Lighthouse Quilt - from Inspiration to Finished Product

 If you've read any of my other blogs, you know I like to quilt.  I was visiting my sister, Becky Centofanti, in Daytona Beach Shores, Florida last year. She's an artist, who draws a lot of inspiration from Van Gogh and other impressionist painters.  Near her is the Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse.  Well, it inspired her, and hanging in her pool area is this painting:


I was equally inspired to figure out how to turn it into a quilt!  So I set out to figure out the best way.  First, I used my trusty browse and "Googled" sites to turn pictures into pixels.  This was my first try:



Even at 1" blocks, this one to the left would have been HUGE.  So back to the drawing board.  






This is what I settled on.  The blocks are still 1" finished, but the size is much more manageable. 













I had to take it down for about 2 months as my machine's LED display went out on me, so until it was fixed, it sat on my design wall.  Finally, I was able to get back to putting it together. 



And here it is - borders added, free motion quilting done, finished!  I want to add a ship's wheel to the bottom, but need to find just the right one.  It was fun!  Challenging, but fun! 






1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. Your story as well as your quilt are an inspiration to do more. 😍

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!