Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Devotional Musings

 Yes, the continuation of my trip will come up, probably not until next week. But in the meantime, this.

I'm s-l-o-w-l-y working my way through J. I. Packer's Knowing God.  Heavy reading and if you do start, plan a long time to digest all the wisdom. I've got a notebook that is filled with my notes and thoughts as I go along.  I also ordered a devotional called Knowing God Through the Year, compiled by Carolyn Nystrom. I didn't start it at the beginning of the year, so I'm a bit off of her calendar, but the timing of the reading is definitely from God. 

Our church is having a tea this weekend.  For the past two years, we have had a brunch for the women of the church, and, tea lover that I am, I suggested that it take the form of a tea this year.  It met with some resistance, but honestly there were more people in favor of it, so we went with it. It's a lot of work, and I do mean a lot, and there have been some issues with misunderstandings. It definitely is teaching me a lot about how this church operates and how things are/should be done.  

Anyhow, in the devotional, the last day of the "Spring" section, it was the end of several days of talking about God's wisdom.  The scripture passage was James 3:17, and I use the ESV:

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

The journal prompt at the end was to take each character trait and put it on my calendar, looking for opportunities to live out those traits.  Today's word was peaceable.  Fitting, as I wasn't feeling particularly peaceable, so it was definitely a trait I need to work on.  Turns out that my worries were put to rest as the issues I thought I had turned out to be nothing at all.  

I'm curious to see how timely the subsequent days will turn out to be. Well, maybe not, but I'm sure they will be, regardless of how I feel!  Now to put them in practice! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!