Friday, September 5, 2014

Overcoming Sin, Chapter 1

This blog series will be slightly different, and more academic, than my other blogs. I have joined with others reading the book, Overcoming Sin and Temptation, by John Owen.  Tim Challies, a pastor, author, and blogger at Challies.com, challenged his followers to read and comment on this classic volume.  It is a little intimidating, but I am up for the adventure.  I am looking forward to discover how it will challenge, encourage and inspire me. 

I am reading the free PDF version. (Available here:) It contains three parts, The Necessity of Mortification, The Nature of Mortification, and The Means of Mortification.  The PDF also includes two other works of Owen’s, Of Temptation, the Nature and Power of It, and Indwelling Sin
I read the introduction and all the preface material first. And I am glad I did.  It contained a wealth of information, frequently overlooked in a rush to get to the meat of the book.  Justin Taylor, one of the co-editors of the version that I am reading, wrote the overview.  His overview includes a synopsis of the work, including nine “directions for the soul”.  These directions alone are a very good tool to use in examining my life.  I am interested in reading further to see how they are developed in the second part of the book, so even if this particular exercise ends after the first part, I do intend to continue reading.  It may take some time to digest, but I suspect it will be well worth it.

The first chapter lays the foundation for the remainder of the book.  Owen describes five foundations on which he is going to build his thesis:

1. A duty prescribed: “Mortify the deeds of the body.”
2. The persons denoted to whom it is prescribed: “You”—“if you mortify.”
3. A promise annexed to that duty: “You shall live.”
4. The cause or means of the performance of this duty—the Spirit: “If you through the Spirit.”
5. The conditionality of the whole proposition, wherein duty, means, and promise are contained: “If you,” etc. [1]

Challies noted in his article about this first chapter the same things that I did, so I will not repeat them.  I have to agree that it is impossible to die to my sins without the help of the Holy Spirit.  I know I can’t do it on my own. I’ve tried, and failed far too often. 

I’m looking forward to the next chapter. 





[1]Owen, John. Overcoming Sin and Temptation: Three Classic works by John Owen. Edited by Kelly M. Kapic and Justin Taylor. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will respond to them!